Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A Beautiful Lady


I've been a member of the Young family for forty-two years. From day one, my mother-in-law made me feel loved and accepted. She was a kind and gentle woman, and in all the years I've known her, I never heard her say one negative or critical thing about anyone.

When my own mother died almost thirty years ago, she became the only mother I had. Her quiet influence on my life will never be forgotten.

When alzheimers began to steal away her beautiful mind, she slowly forgot the names and faces of those she loved so much. But, this past Saturday, when my sweet mother-in-law passed from this life into the next, I'm sure her mind was instantly and completely restored. She knew Jesus the minute she saw Him. I like to think that after she talked with Him for awhile, her two grandsons took her by the hand and said, "Come on Gramma, we'll show you around heaven."

Her death was a spiritual experience for me, and for others who circled her bed last Saturday. Although their hearts were aching, her children created a moment of beauty for their mother as they sang to her when she made her transition from this life to the next.

The words they sang to her were these, and I'm so glad they are true:

Because he lives
I can face tomorrow
Because he lives
All fear is gone
Because I know
He holds the future
And life is worth the living
Just because he lives

 As a hospice nurse, I felt honored to be there to support the other members of the family since most of them had never been at the bedside of a dying person. But the greatest honor was being her daughter-in-law. I'll miss you, Betty Young. And it does seem appropriate that we say good-bye to you on Valentines Day. You were an example of pure love.

http://www.schafferfh.com/obits/obituary.php?id=448391

No comments:

Post a Comment