Pages

Monday, February 17, 2014

Hope

Carly at Toledo Botanical Gardens-Spring 2006

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Hebrew 11:1
If you know me very well, you know I'm not a great lover of winter. There was a time when I missed the beauty of autumn because I was dreading the coming winter. But several years ago, I decided to stop doing that and take each day as it came, and try to find some good in each one. I really have tried to do that this winter, but my patience is running low. 

I heard on the news last night that we have an additional 3-5 inches of snow coming tonight. Now that doesn't sound so bad, until you look outside my windows and see the mountains of snow we already have. In fact, the upcoming snowfall will break all records for Northwest Ohio. 

 In addition to the horrible weather, there have been other things that have made this winter unbearable. Two deaths in the family in less than a month, sick grandkids, and worry about where my kids are going to get more propane gas to stay warm. 

So what does a person who hates winter do in the middle of a winter like this? We cherish our faith, count our blessings, and hang on to hope.

 I am so glad today that God encourages us to cast all our cares on Him. Sometimes, that's the only thing we can do. And the blessings? Oh, yes, they are there. The babies might have the sniffles, ear aches and sore throats, but it could be a lot worse. I know of children right now who are terminally ill. 

And then there is hope. In the sixty-one years I've been alive, spring has always followed winter. Not once did the daffodils fail to bloom. 

So, just for today...because I'm tired of looking at the gray skies and mountains of snow, I'm going to close my blinds, light some candles, and bake some cookies. Then I'll settle down with a good book and get lost in fiction, because right now, I don't like reality . 


Spring will come, but until it does, I'm going to cherish the blessings I do have...a warm house, a good book and a peanut butter chocolate chip cookie. And I'm going to dream about daffodils when I go back to bed tonight.   

No comments:

Post a Comment