Pages

Saturday, February 1, 2014

My Favorite Chair

And the Memories That Go With It

 
 



I love my home, but I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to furnishing it.
 Don't get me wrong, I like for my home to look nice,
 but I'm more concerned with comfort than style.
 
With that in mind, I'd like to tell you about my favorite chair.
It isn't as old as the rocking chair in the corner
 that my great-grandmother sat in to rock my grandpa,
 but by today's standards it has some years on it.
I bought it for myself about ten years ago.
The reason I bought it is another story that I'll tell another day.
 
For now, I don't know why, but for some reason,
 I need to share why I love my chair.
First of all, it's comfortable. It's an overstuffed, rocker/recliner with upholstery
 that's soft and gets softer every year.
It's a light wheat color and used to be clean. 
It has a few stains on it now.
 
On a cold winter day like today,
it's my favorite spot because it's right next to the fireplace
 and I can stretch out in it and easily take a nap.
I did that this morning.
Well, I stretched out in it, but I didn't take a nap.
Instead, I let my mind go down memory lane.
Over the years, I've set in my chair and talked to a lot of people.
Those people crossed my mind this morning as I lay resting my eyes.
In some cases, I could remember, almost word for word, the conversations we had.
Good conversations with fascinating people.
 I remember laughing with them, crying with them,
and once, a friend and I talked about the meaning of life and love.
That was years ago, but seems like it was just yesterday
 
In recent times, I sit in my chair to do my favorite things in life.
I read, I write and I rock babies.
  And I share my chair.
I've had as many as four grandbabies in my chair with me.
The arms rests are large and can easily hold a child, plus I can get two on my lap.
It's a good place to read books to grandbabies.
 
I'm not the only one who likes to sit in my chair though.
 Just this week, it became a favorite place for a big cousin to love on a little cousin.
 
I think I'll keep my chair forever.
I feel peaceful when I sit in it, and the memories are wonderful.


No comments:

Post a Comment